NEWS: LIVE FROM JODRELL BANK UPDATE
Internationally acclaimed star Paul Weller headlines the show performing songs from his hit laden career. A significant figure in British culture, Live From Jodrell Bank is Paul Weller’s only stand alone performance of the summer. Paul Weller comments “I’m excited to play Jodrell Bank, it’s always good to perform in unique places and this will be the most unique of them all! It’s going to be a great show in a great space-age setting,”
Having already announced a fascinating programme of science related activity to take place throughout the day, Live From Jodrell Bank are thrilled to confirm that Craig Charles will be appearing for an exclusive Q and A ahead of the airing of the 10th series of Red Dwarf. This cult show is the definitive British Sci-Fi comedy and one of the most adventurous comedies in TV history. As the character Lister, Craig was the star of the show and has been an ever present throughout the series. As well as bringing his acclaimed funk and soul show to Jodrell Bank, Craig will also be giving a Q&A session in the Science Arena with a Jodrell Bank scientist on hand to relate the fiction of sci-fi series Red Dwarf to the facts of space exploration.
Gomez are one of the best live bands in the country and still lead the pack when it comes to intelligent and melodic indie rock music. They will be performing a set made up of classic tracks from their huge back catalogue. Jake Evans fully rounded vocals, ear for perfect pop and supreme guitar playing led to him co founding Bad Lieutenant, a band that has featured New Orders Bernard Sumner, Stephen Morris and Phil Cunningham as well as Alex James from Blur. His solo show is sure to be a highlight of the festival.
Also performing on the day will be Graham Coxon who will be playing tracks from his acclaimed new album A + E as well as all the classic tracks from his previous 7 studio albums. Baxter Dury showcases his expertly constructed psychedelic pop whilst Little Barrie brings some undiluted rock n’ roll swagger.
Highlights from the Science Arena include:
· See the amazing giant Lovell Telescope in action as Jodrell Bank Astrophysicist Tim O’Brien puts it through its paces live from stage!
· Meet Bridget, the Mars rover built as part of the research for the European Space Agency’s next mission to Mars
· Find out about the beautiful intricacies of mathematical origami – and do some experiments of your own
· Learn about the science of sport with In the Zone – a Welcome Trust exhibition inspired by London 2012 – discover the secret springs that make you jump – get under the skin of your blood system – race to the finish and take home access to your own personal showreel!
· Find out more about pulsars, rapidly rotating stars the size of a large city that send out radio waves across the Universe
· Meet Jodrell Bank scientists and engineers working at the cutting edge of science and find out about the latest research http://www.jb.man.ac.uk
· Find out the latest news about the exciting multi billion pound project to build the world’s biggest telescope, the Square Kilometre Array – with the international HQ right here at Jodrell!
· Meet eMERLIN, the UK-wide network of telescopes run from Jodrell Bank
· Get updates on the search for the elusive Higgs Boson, the so called ‘God particle’, from the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva
· Celebrate the centenary of the birth of pioneering computer scientist, Alan Turing with the Turing Sunflower project, a mass experiment to grow thousands of sunflowers and count their spirals!
· And finally, find out why Jodrell Bank is the UK hub for ALMA, – a world class Telescope in the heart of the Chilean Andes.
Associate Director Of Jodrell Bank Observatory, Tim O’ Brien comments “We’re really looking forward to this year’s festival and very excited about bringing together great music and great science. Watch out for a star performance from the Lovell Telescope!”
For over five decades, the giant Lovell Telescope at Jodrell Bank has been part of the Cheshire landscape and an internationally renowned landmark for astronomers. Since the summer of 1957 it has been exploring the depths of outer space in a quest for knowledge. It remains one of the biggest and most powerful radio telescopes in the world, spending most of its time investigating cosmic phenomena that were undreamed of when it was first conceived.
Live From Jodrell Bank – a stellar line-up in a truly unique location…
TICKETS FOR PAUL WELLER
Tickets £35 // no age restriction
CURRENT LINE UP
Craig Charles Funk And Soul Club
Coach tickets are available from various pick up points to buy from Ticketline.
Full travel info can be found at www.livefromjodrellbank.com